PIECES OF ADVICE*
ELABORATION: WORDS OF WISDOM / SHARING IS CARING / TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT / SHOOTING FOR 100
This is an ongoing list of extremely helpful advice, lifted from a variety of sources, curated and collated for your viewing pleasure.
01. Be your own biggest client.
02. Never use more than one exclamation point.
03. Stand on the shoulders of giants.
04. Emulate your idols.
05. Learn the tools of the trade.
06. Stay organized.
07. Join Dribbble. (Need an invite? I may have one.)
08. Crave criticism.
09. Obey the grid.
10. Carry a notebook.
11. Keep a copy. (Even the bad stuff).
12. Never fear enthusiasm.
13. Set goals and deadlines.
14. Identify your core values.
15. Read Design is a Job.
16. Watch a Draplin talk.
17. Constraints empower creativity.
18. "A rising tide lifts all boats."
19. Never punch down.
20. Try to make the world a better place.
21. Get physical. Make things and give them away.
22. Be a patron when you can.
23. Appreciate the tools and technology.
24. Give back to the community.
25. Be sincere. (Irony is overrated.)
26. Don't scribble over bad sketches.
27. Learn how to properly export a file.
28. Be wary of trends.
29. Design is not magic.
30. Check your privilege.
31. Get political.
32. The customer is always right.
33. Know your strengths.
34. Take breaks.
35. Celebrate others. Be a fan.
36. Don't make anything that can harm or kill.
37. Think twice. Double-check everything.
38. Pick a thing you like, recreate it, and figure out why it works.
39. Know thyself. (Check out the Enneagram.)
40. Cool it with the emojis.
41. Drink plenty of water.
42. Break rules, on occasion.
43. Remember that it’s not digging ditches.
44. Stay busy.
45. Look to the past.
46. Write things down.
47. Fight against popup forms.
48. Fight for diversity.
49. Keep a journal.
50. Share the things you’ve learned.
* Updated December 2017. In no particular order.